Johnson's Corner

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's Here!

The greatest season of the whole year is just round the corner! What season is that? WARM! Michigan, once the temperature is above 55 degrees, is absolutely GORGEOUS and FUN. Last year I was blown away with how much there is to do between the months of March and November. And we missed a ton of things! This year I am determined to not miss the things we missed last year. So, we're off to a good start with MAPLE SEASON.

On Saturday we went on a Maple Tour. We started with a hay ride that took us a little ways further into the woods. We were guided on a walk to be shown how to recognize a Maple tree and to see the trees being tapped. We learned about how the sugary sap develops and then the process by which they remove it from the trees. Then we rode the hay wagon back to the main station. We walked through the Sugar House where we saw them boiling the sap to make maple syrup.
(For Angela Allen: I think each time we have talked on the phone you have asked me what's up with my long straight hair and that you just don't recognize me...so for my birthday I decided to start recognizing MYSELF again! :) I just thought YOU would apprecaite it.)
We went to the craft area to decorate "tree cookies"
and to get faces painted.



Finally, we went in to buy some FRESH maple syrup. It was a lot of fun. Amazingly enough, it was only $1 per person for admission.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home