Help! My baby's a finger-sucker!
Ok, no offense to all my loved ones who have either been finger-suckers as children or now have children that are finger-suckers...but it drives me CRAZY! I have given all of my children, so far, pacifiers to keep them from this disgusting habit. Each of my children have practically been born sucking their thumb...literally. Within minutes of emerging from the womb, they have found their thumb, which leads me to believe they were well acquainted with it while in utero. Adah and Madelyn were deterred successfully and within 2 weeks of weaning, they were also weaned from their pacifier, end of story, no problems. Rhys is showing signs of some serious issues...for me. What am I supposed to do about this?

What you do not see in this photo is that inches from his head is the pacifier I had put him down with...he's so defiant! :)
What you do not see in this photo is that inches from his head is the pacifier I had put him down with...he's so defiant! :)

4 Comments:
Ok, I get why you hate it but....those pictures make it look so cute! My brother sucked his two fingers until he was 3! The only reason why he stopped is because our other brother told him there was a peanut butter sandwich in the vcr. He stuck his fingers in there to get it and ended up scraping most of the skin off of his fingers. He needed stitches and was all bandaged up. This ended the sucking. I probably wouldn't recommend this route though. :)
By
The Coolest Allen Family, At
October 1, 2007 at 1:51 PM
I had an oral fixation as well. Apparently I loved the pacifier and sucked my thumb until it was about preschool or kindergarten and my mom told me that "Big girls don't suck their thumbs" so I was only allowed to do it if I sat on my bed.
Not sure how this helps you now. Maybe his fingers are tastier.
By
Broek, At
October 1, 2007 at 8:16 PM
Camden does the same thing!! I understand the angst because:
#1. you can't throw fingers away like a binky
#2. When they get older and NEED to brush their teeth, their slimy fingers stink!
However...Rhys will never lose his fingers in the middle of the night and wake up and cry. He will be pacified wherever he goes and his fingers don't cost a thing!!
I feel for you but if you can't break him, just let him enjoy them.
By
Emily, At
October 2, 2007 at 9:04 AM
I really like the peanut butter sandwich idea. A bit severe. But, it gets results.
Rhys, your uncle is begging you to stop. The ladies don't like the finger suckers. Also you'll end up with frog teeth. Orthodontia is expensive and you don't want to break your parents financially do you?
By
Tannerama, At
October 2, 2007 at 4:15 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home