That's so...neighborly of you!
Yesterday afternoon I was chillin outside while the girls rode their bikes around the cul-de-sac and the boys were napping. Ahhh, it was beautiful outside and I was basking in the sun. Fast forward 20 minutes to when our firefighter neighbor across from us zooms up in his truck, jumps out with a quick, "Hi! How you all doin?" and rushes over with a a big container and asks if we like fresh trout. ummmm, yes, occasionally, if someone catches, cleans and cooks it for me. He quickly explains that the fire chief has just called him and he has to drive to Yerington right that second and doesn't even have time to do anything with the fish and we'd actually be doing him a favor if we took it. Sure. So he pulls 5 trout out, all attached to a rope and throws them at me. Yes, you read that right, FIVE trout. So I take them into the house and put them on ice and return to the driveway in time to see him drive away. I did not return, however, without first grabbing my macbook (btw, "portable" computers and wireless internet are AMAZING). I googled "how to clean a trout" and got some pretty graphic pictures and descriptions. Yuck. This was definitely husband work. Unfortunately, the husband didn't end up getting home until 6:30pm...but I was willing to wait! I had the rest of dinner ready for when the fish was done. My less-than-thrilled hubby did a fantastic job, and didn't even need the graphics I have pulled up on the computer. He's such a boyscout. :)
Anyway, enough babbling. The bottom line is this: Erik cleaned it, I made a sauce for it, he grilled it, we ate it (even the kids thought it was a delight!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not eaten fresh trout in YEARS (rewind to camping trips up in the Sierras with my dad when we were young). It was delicious. I regret not getting a shot of the fish hanging on the rope, but they were dripping blood and I had to take care of them FAST. But here is what I did get.





In addition to the fish, I received a belated birthday present from my brother, Dehn. These are going to be gone WAY too soon, thanks Dehn! YUM!
Anyway, enough babbling. The bottom line is this: Erik cleaned it, I made a sauce for it, he grilled it, we ate it (even the kids thought it was a delight!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not eaten fresh trout in YEARS (rewind to camping trips up in the Sierras with my dad when we were young). It was delicious. I regret not getting a shot of the fish hanging on the rope, but they were dripping blood and I had to take care of them FAST. But here is what I did get.
In addition to the fish, I received a belated birthday present from my brother, Dehn. These are going to be gone WAY too soon, thanks Dehn! YUM!

5 Comments:
Man now I want fresh fish for dinner. I wish you were closer! For more reasons than just fresh fish of course! :)
By
The Coolest Allen Family, At
April 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM
That painted a WHOLE new picture for me about where you live. The fish looked delicious.
By
Brenny, At
April 8, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Wow, do I have to move to Dayton to find cool neighbors like that? Haha. By the way I love the ladybug cake... did you make that?
By
Natalie and Tyler, At
April 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Impressive! I think I would have either laughed in the guy's face or ran away all squirmish!
By
Heidi, At
April 11, 2009 at 1:36 AM
Yum. Joe would have been in heaven. (But I'm afraid he would have needed the google info.)
What an unexpected excitement! How fun.
By
Sara, At
April 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home