Johnson's Corner

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Skiing in Michigan!?

Yes, they do have skiing in Michigan! They do not have what we would call resorts. Obviously they don't have what we would call mountains. What they do have is what we like to call ski hills and for now, that will do! Especially when the sun was actually shining! We could not have asked for a more beautiful day to ski.

Erik taught Adah to ski last year, and since I am usually pregnant and/or nursing, I missed out. So this year it is Madelyn's turn to learn and I am some how not pregnant or nursing! So we got a babysitter for the boys on Friday and hit the slopes...I mean hills.

They had lifts, but we spent a lot of our time using the tow rope on the (even smaller) hills.

Sure, she makes it look easy, but she had some ugly tumbles before she got the hang of it.
Good job, babe! hehe I think it is so cute.
Adah was a champ, pretty much picking up where she left off last season and dying to go on the big hills.

Adah kept saying that all our snow clothes make us look "fat." I told her it is because we have to wear 4+ layers!
Adah was feeling the need...the need for speed! haha
Madelyn started the day out great. She caught onto the V thing and she was really doing well. About 2 hours into it, her attitude took a nose-dive and never came back up. She could go and stop on a dime...but then once we tried to introduce "turning," she was just done. She claims she wants to go again, and Erik has said, "She will learn to ski. She can't be a member of this family and not ski!" But I am not going to lie, it got ugly.


Here is when we stopped for lunch...or we meant to stop for lunch but didn't know where everyone was getting their burgers and dogs, so we just had our granola bars and water that we had brought with us. As you can see, Madelyn is still being a stinker.
Yea, not impressed with this whole "skiing in the cold and eating granola bars for lunch" thing.
Why is my oldest child so against smiling in pictures? In fact, in this picture, Madelyn is telling her, "Adah, smile!"

I shouldn't be so hard on Madelyn. She did catch on really fast. She even went down one of the "big hills" after only learning for a couple of hours! She just needs to learn to want something bad enough to really put her effort forth to learn it! She'll get there.

6 Comments:

  • I remember my Dad trying to "teach" me to ski. It wasn't fun. I have never skied since. I have gone snowboarding several times. But, I understand Madelyn's attitude. What IS the big deal?

    By Blogger Tannerama, At January 31, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

  • That sounds like SO much fun...for you all. Mark tried to teach me the first year we were married. I have not "tried" again. But I do hope he teaches the kids! He has great memories of sking with his family.

    By Blogger Mark Katy, At February 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

  • So much fun! Looks like a great day. Madelyn will get it. When we first took Marie, I took her down ONE run. It took over and hour!! Yes, my patience was tested extremely. I kept remembering how Dad taught me in a blizzard, and said, "Follow my coat"...and went down the mountain. But I learned! :) And loved it.
    (p.s. Love Adah's missing tooth!) :)

    By Blogger Marlise, At February 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

  • Maybe snowboarding will be more of a challenge. Those looked like nice easy slopes to learn on. But I know about the layers. I learned to ski in Canada when it was 20 below. Looks like you were having a great time.

    By Blogger Shana Hamblin, At February 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM  

  • You guys are awesome.

    By Blogger Sara, At February 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

  • Funny story about Tanner snowboarding. I took him when he was about 12 years old. He had gone with the boy scouts before but I had never seen him. So he wanted to go with me. (I was skiing.)
    So we get there and we're going up the main lift to the top of the mountain and Tanner tells me ON THE LIFT that he had never been off the bunny hill. WHAT? You tell me this now? Needless to say it took him a while to get to the bottom and the night ended with yelling and death threats. (Tanner was the one yelling and threatening because of an unfortunate event at the base of the hill where he face planted at a high rate of speed)

    Erik

    By Blogger Johnson Family, At February 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home