Johnson's Corner

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Family Movie Night

I have been thinking for a while now that I wanted to do a blog post about our Family Movie Nights. Not about the fact that we have them, or that we eat really yummy food while we have them, but actually what we watch. We have watched some movies more than once. We have watched many newer movies like UP, all three High School Musicals, Kung Fu Panda, etc.

BUT, what I want to talk about are the "old" movies. Movies that Erik and I remember from when we were young(er) and want to share with them. So I thought I would make a list of all the ones I can remember and then comment on what the kids thought of them.


E.T.
I was afraid they would be a little scared, but they showed no sign of fear. Fortunately they missed the comment about "p**** breath" and we didn't have to worry. They seemed to like it, but never really asked to watch it again.

Freaky Friday
They liked this one, were thoroughly entertained and have watched it a few times. They do not yet catch all the funny parts like "That Borris, what a fox." or "No and I never will again, Jim dear." But that just means they can still enjoy it for years to come. By the way, this was the Jodie Foster version and NOT the Lindsay Lohan version...yuck.

Little Women
This is a classic. They just barely saw it for the first time on Friday night. I have read them the book before and Madelyn has been enjoying listening to it on CD this week. I was worried they might find it a little boring, but they were totally into it. They especially liked "Teddy" but Madelyn also made a comment about Amy being her favorite, which made me sad because I have never liked Amy (the little brat).

The Love Bug
This one was fun for Erik and I to see again, it had been so many years! Again, I thought the kids might be a little bored, but they loved it! They have been asking to watch it again. They thought it was so funny.

Newsies
Most definitely a favorite. They love to sing the songs and when we could borrow it from the library in Dayton they would ask me to get it all the time (much to Erik's disappointment). We don't have it now and we are sad...I need to find it on Amazon or something. Love it.

Old Yeller
They totally loved it. We have been singing "Old Yeller...come back Yeller!...best doggon dog in the west!" This one Rhys and Seth were really into.

Pollyanna
They enjoyed it. I would not say they have grown to fully appreciate it though. We have watched it a couple of times, but especially Madelyn is not the world's biggest fan. Don't worry, she'll get there. :)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
LOVE. THIS. MOVIE. We all do! Even the boys are totally engaged the whole time. I think it is because there is a lot of singing. The girls love singing the songs and it is funny to us which songs - not the ones you think they would remember - like "Oh they say when you marry in June, you're a bride, all your life..." We watched this movie THREE FRIDAYS IN A ROW before Erik and I said we needed to pick something else. And we almost had kids in tears on our hands!

Swiss Family Robinson
They love this movie too. How could you not? The first time they saw it, which was probably 2 years ago, they were a little scared of a couple of parts, but they are past that now. Now it is Rhys that gets a little frozen when the tiger is ever on the screen. But this is lots of fun and we have watched it a number of times.

The Parent Trap
They like this movie and think it is so funny all the mean things the sisters do to each other at camp and then later to Vicki. We blew their minds when we told them that there is really one ONE girl and they filmed it like there were two...get it? :) This is another movie they have seen a number of times. Again, NOT the Lindsay Lohan version - I really like Dennis Quaid and I really enjoyed Natasha Richardson in this movie. But to be honest, there were a couple of things that seemed inappropriate, and that's not even talking about "L.L Trashy."

The Secret of Nimh
This movie is so great. I can remember feeling a little nervous on certain parts, but they just eat it right up. We have watched this movie a couple of times. So good.

Treasure Island
Truthfully, they seemed slightly bored with this movie. Well, with the beginning anyway. Once it got into it, they were hooked, but the beginning was hard for them to get into. They have not asked to watch it again since, but Erik pointed out to them how many things they have seen or read that relate to this story and the characters in it.

Wilderness Family
This movie practically defines my childhood. I would try to count how many times I have watched this movie, but I don't think I can count that high. I have the entire movie memorized and I am not ashamed. When Erik and I were dating he made reference to this movie and I just knew I was in love. He had seen it! And enough to make reference to it! In our conversation I did learn that he had NOT seen the second and third Wilderness Family movies, but I am a pretty forgiving person. The kids saw these movies at my parents house. We do not YET own them. But they loved them and I am so happy.

Something I learned while reviewing so many "old" movies is that when I watch Disney movies now and think "they use the same people for all their stuff," that's nothing new. When I go back and watch old movies, I see how many of the same actors are used in their movies back then too.

INVITATION: If you have a movie that you think we should add to our list, please leave a comment!

10 Comments:

  • Those are some good ones. ESPECIALLY Secret of Nimh and Swiss Family Robinson. I don't know if we give kids enough credit for the tolerance for scary stuff. I used to watch Return To Oz, Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal and all sorts of weird "scary" stuff when I was a kid and I turned out alright... well relatively alright.

    I think that the Star Wars Trilogy are good family movies. Any and all of the early muppet movies are good. I personally think that The Great Muppet Caper is the best. But I also like the original and Muppets Take Manhattan.

    Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. I loved Herbie when I was a kid. The idea of a sentient car that was super fast and got into all sorts of wacky adventures was just catnip for my little brain. Monte Carlo is the best of the series because it has Don Knotts, exotic locales, and a ton of really awesome older cars. So many great gags in it.

    And Ghostbusters! Oh my gosh that movie was so integral to my childhood. I know what you're thinking "But there are some maybe inappropriate dialogue moments" Here's a little science for ya, when I was little I could care less what they were saying! And I had no idea what they were talking about.

    Back to the Future trilogy. I know Erik doesn't like the third one. But, I could see kids really liking it.

    No big shocker here for a Tanner suggestion, Superman: The Movie starring Christopher Reeve is a good family movie. Especially with Rhys' newfound interest in Superman I think he would love it.

    Also, Disney distributes some animated movies from a japanese studio called Studio Ghibli and there are two in particular that I think would be great for the kiddies. One is "My Neighbor Totoro" about two sisters who move to a new town and befriend a mythical woodland creature that lives in the forest next to their house. And "Kiki's Delivery Service" is about a witch who upon earning her broom sets out on her own and starts a delivery service. They are super sweet and really good. And are nowhere near as cheesy as my synopses make them sound.

    I know that you probably will just say "Meh, Tanner is weird. His suggestions will make our kids turn out weird." But, I sincerely believe that these movies are super entertaining for the whole family and most important they fuel imagination in the little ones.

    By Blogger Tannerama, At February 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

  • This is Jason actually, and I would like to add Mary Poppins to the list. Nothing like a little "spoon full of sugar" for family night. Also, I would include The Muppet Movie. Great cameos by "old" actors and the greatest song from a movie came from that one..."The Rainbow Connection".

    By Blogger Jason and Summer, but really just Summer, At February 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM  

  • too cool! My kids have recently enjoyed The Gnome Mobiel (sp?) another old Disney flick. I know what you are saying about using the same people. This movie has the guy from Mary Poppins that gets the giggles and floats to the top of the room. (also recently noticed he lends his voice to Lady and the Tramp and Alice in Wonderland) Great post Kendra!! Makes me look forward to this journey of family!!!

    By Blogger Mark Katy, At February 10, 2010 at 2:13 AM  

  • Before this goes too much further, I want everyone to know that my children DO watch ALL the Muppet Movies and have been since they were ity-bity. Mary Poppins has been as well.

    Star Wars would be a good one. We own Dark Crystal, but I can remember being FREAKED OUT watching it, so not quite ready to show that one yet. Same with Ghostbusters.

    And Tanner, my kids are not TOO deprived, they have seen Superman and the girls were very interested, but we don't own it. I do think it is time to revisit it. Thanks.

    By Blogger Johnson Family, At February 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

  • Wow, that's a great list! I can't believe I haven't thought to re-visit the oldies! What a great idea! Especially because they're such classics and usually clean! I can't say I have any to add to your list, but I'm sure going to take your list with me to the library!

    By Blogger Stephanie, At February 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

  • Hey! GREAT list--reminds me of some that we need to visit or re-visit. We watched some musicals growing up, but Jonnie's family (being *really* musical) saw more, so I've been introduced to some old classics, that I had never seen. A few that I think of are Court Jester (Angela Lansbury, in her young days!!) and The Happiest Millionaire and The Music Man (two that I was VERY pleasantly surprised with--I really liked. FUNNY). Good times! :)

    By Blogger Marlise, At February 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

  • An American Tail and Bednobs and Broomsticks are good ones. My son likes watching all the old classic Disney cartoons as well. Thanks for this post, it makes me want to start movie nights too! Oh, I remember when I was sick I saw the boy who could fly. Not sure what age group is best for that, same with Secret Garden. Good luck to you, keep us posted what others they like.

    By Blogger Callie, At February 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

  • homeward bound: the incredible journey is one we just watched tonight. so cute. camden laughed all the way through it. i basically try to get all the old school disney movies too. great minds think alike ;)

    emily

    By Blogger Nathan, At February 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM  

  • The Sound of Music!!!!????

    By Blogger Nathan, At February 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

  • The Princess Bride, Elf, The Theif and the Cobbler. Now my kids are older we get into the original "The Wax Muswum" and more scary really old classics of Hitchcock. But I know that my kids loved some of the classic cartoons that Todd and I watched when we were kids too. Bugs Bunny, Flintstones, Casper etc.

    By Blogger Shana Hamblin, At February 18, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home