The Teeth
A couple of weeks ago, Madelyn casually shows me her teeth. (Please ignore the peanut butter sandwich still in her back teeth) WhAt ThE...!?!?!?


Doesn't she look miserable? She was a total champ until the numbness started to wear off and she could feel her lip and jaw again. Even then, she didn't whine a lot, just looked sad. Poor thing. You would be uncomfortable too if your mouth was as small as hers and you had two teeth this long pulled out of your mouth!

Adah's "freaky tooth" that had to be pulled looked the same - I am guessing when the root doesn't die and the baby tooth fall out on its own, then the root stays strong...and long! Ouch. It kind of makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.
But she started feeling better once she realized she got to pick out fabric for her toothfairy pillow and the toothfairy would be bringing her DOUBLE.

Madelyn! When did you notice those grow in?
A while ago. Like when I would brush my teeth or sometimes I would feel them with my tongue.
Why didn't you tell me!?
I told ADAH!
Adah is not your MOM!
Ugh. I may or may not have blogged about Adah's "freaky tooth" before, but basically when she was a little bit, she only had 3 bottom baby teeth come in where there should be 4. Don't fear, x-rays show there are, in fact, 4 permanent teeth to come in...although only 3 of them have. My point? We are going to need some serious orthadontics in our family...better start saving now. Or maybe Obama Care will sweep down and save us.
So when I took the girls to their routine check ups and cleanings, the good news was that they had no cavities and the dentist was impressed with their brushing and flossing. Great. The not so good news (for Madelyn anyway) was that those baby teeth were going to have to be pulled. They asked if we wanted to schedule another appointment and Madelyn and I said, "No, just hurry up and get it over with." She's such a tough cookie. She didn't freak out or anything! They said she didn't even realize they gave her a shot...I want a dentist like THAT! ;)
So she came home with two huge holes in her mouth.
Doesn't she look miserable? She was a total champ until the numbness started to wear off and she could feel her lip and jaw again. Even then, she didn't whine a lot, just looked sad. Poor thing. You would be uncomfortable too if your mouth was as small as hers and you had two teeth this long pulled out of your mouth!
Adah's "freaky tooth" that had to be pulled looked the same - I am guessing when the root doesn't die and the baby tooth fall out on its own, then the root stays strong...and long! Ouch. It kind of makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.
But she started feeling better once she realized she got to pick out fabric for her toothfairy pillow and the toothfairy would be bringing her DOUBLE.

9 Comments:
Wow, that's awesome. Craig is the only one with teeth out so far, but ya, orthodontics in his future for sure. What brave children. Way to go.
By
Holli, At
April 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Thta is crazy! Couple of funny things...she never told you (Don't you love it when they say but i told so and so...my kids are great at that as well!) and oh my goodness those suckers were long! What a cute pillow! I wish I would of done something like that for my kiddos. But I guess that would require me knowing how to sew...
By
Jason and Summer, but really just Summer, At
April 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Those baby teeth are crazy long! Holy smokes. Madelyn is very brave!
Cute pillow!
By
Sara, At
April 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Oh my! What a brave little girl!! That is awesome!!
By
Mark Katy, At
April 16, 2010 at 1:19 AM
Wowza! Great story
By
Leah, At
April 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM
Madelyn is a champ!! Seriously. That's crazy stuff. Tell her she's the stuff heroes are made of. :) Remind me to tell you later about Janson's woes with his last two molars coming in.
By
Marlise, At
April 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM
What brave girls. I think that is a cute idea about the tooth fairy pillow. I have never heard of that.
By
Shana Hamblin, At
April 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Those teeth are crazy! It's good that you got a pic before they pulled them out- it's pretty unbelievable. Plus, she will love to see it when she is older :) What a brave girl!
By
Evaly, At
April 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM
Andrew's teeth did that too. I thought it was so strange. His baby teeth were loose but just wouldn't come out. Our dentist numbed him him up then actually let him pull his teeth out himself. I thought it was gross, but he was soooo excited to tell everyone about it. I'm glad your brave little girl wasn't traumatized!
By
Amy, At
April 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home