Johnson's Corner

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nauvoo

Last weekend we spent a little time in Nauvoo, Illinois. We loved it! We were able to meet up with my brother and his family and it made it that much more fun - especially since they had been before, so they could clue us in on the things we should do most. We even swapped babysitting so we could each do a session in the Temple! It was amazing.



This was the Nauvoo Pageant on Friday night, with a gorgeous backdrop of the Nauvoo Temple.
We crossed a bridge over the Mighty Mississippi River a few times and couldn't believe how big it is!
Nauvoo Temple and our family.
Family closer up - with some intense sunshine.
Joseph and Hyrum Smith saying goodbye to Nauvoo. These stories amaze me.
Erik took this picture and I think it is so pretty.
Fun times with our little cousin!
Touching the Mississippi where the Saints crossed on ice when they fled from Nauvoo.
We saw a LOT of this.
Ezekiel Johnson, an ancestor of ours that never joined the Church, but always defended the Prophet, Joseph Smith, and the Saints.
The Old Nauvoo Burial Grounds
In search of Ezekiel Johnson's grave. He is buried here, but the majority of the stones cannot be read any more.
We went to Carthage on our way home. My favorite part of the trip. Actually, this whole trip made the history of our Church so real for me. I have always had a testimony of it, but this solidified it.
On our way home, we stopped for dinner at this place - apparently it was on that show Man vs. Food once - where he ate the really hot hot wings. Anyway, we got some wings that were not as hot as that...
And as you can tell, it was delicious!

It was a wonderful trip, and no matter how many times I have used and over-used the words beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, etc...it won't do it justice. We enjoyed every sweat-dripping moment of it, despite the 95* temps and 85% humidity (or maybe it was more? I don't know, what I do know is that I felt like a puddle the entire time we were there).

North Carolina, here we come!

4 Comments:

  • I love Nauvoo. It sounds like you had lots of fun. We had a wedding there at the temple and we have been a couple of other times.

    By Blogger Shana Hamblin, At July 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

  • I LOVE Nauvoo! I've been there four times and each time is just as wonderful. Growing up in the church and hearing the pioneer stories that happened in a far away country made it difficult to comprehend what they went through. We don't have snow, humidity or any extreme weather conditions in Chile, I have never been so cold or sick of summer like I'm here. Like you said, visiting Nauvoo makes Church's history so real and makes you appreciate much more the pioneers' sacrifices.

    By Blogger Liza, At July 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

  • I'm so glad you got to go--that's awesome. Carthage--oh, I remember Mom running up, "We came all the way from CA--can you let us in?" Yeah, it was closed--but Mom has a special way about her, and they let us in for our own private tour! :)
    Have a great time in North Carolina! I'm excited for you guys to get to go!

    By Blogger Marlise, At July 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

  • I love Carthage jail; I know that sounds weird, but the spirit is so strong there testifying of the mission of Joseph Smith. I will never forget the time I spent there or in Nauvoo. That is so great that you were able to take you kids there. I can't wait to take mine.

    By Blogger Gary and Emily, At July 31, 2010 at 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home