Johnson's Corner

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Greeley History Museum

I wasn't planning on giving our visit to the Greeley History Museum it's own post, but "someone" doesn't think Greeley would have much history worth mentioning. Well, here are just a few of the super cool things about Greeley's history! So there! :)

First, the museum is in the building that was originally for the Greeley Tribune. It is an old historical building, and it looks pretty cool.
Here are some pieces from the early days of the Tribune - a type-case cabinet from 1900,
and a printing press!
Have you heard of Rattlesnake Kate? Read below. It's awesome!
This is THE GUN she used and the snake is actually one of the snakes she killed! She kept it and stuffed it.
AND made a dress out of 40 of the snakes, with snake skin shoes to match, a headband AND a necklace made of rattles. How crazy is she!?

Oh man, a hair receiver? WhAt? Never heard of it before.
But here's one and I think it's a great idea. We waste way too much these days. :)
This area actually had a POW camp. I never would have thought. Very interesting.
Now this is cool - it is a fencepost from the original fence that outlined Greeley. It was used to keep cattle out of Greeley. It said that some of Greeley's "neighbors" thought it was to keep them out. Maybe it was, I mean we are pretty cool here in Greeley, we can't just let anyone in. JK.
This is the actual rope that was used in Greeley's only lynching. The guy killed his business partner, so "Greeley" killed him. Pretty gruesome, huh? They even have a picture of the guy hanging. The girls were a little disturbed by it, naturally. :)
This one is my favorite. A man with the last name Meeker was one of the main settlers of Greeley. His wife was taken and held captive by Utes. While in captivity, she managed to make this dress from an Indian blanket. How cool is that? There is even a picture of her wearing the dress. A lady must always dress appropriately, right?
Sugar beets. People that originally settled the area would grow things like potatoes, wheat, oats, etc. Then sugar beets were the big seller. Obviously now every farmer grows corn. Apparently no other crop is worth anything...?
Oh, and I didn't get a picture of it, but P.T. Barnum was one of the original Union Colonists. Do you know who Barnum is? He is "The Greatest Show on Earth!" Hello! How cool are we here in Greeley!? If you didn't think so before you're thinking so now, huh? Boo-yah.

1 Comments:

  • WOw. SOOOOOO many comments for this post...
    #1 - how DARE someone assume that Greeley would have a boring history. So ignorant...and clearly so wrong!
    #2 - Rattlesnake Kate...wow. yikes. I have no words...
    #3 - I'm just imagining all of the dresses I could have made with the hair I lost after my pregnancy :) Dang, should have saved it all.
    #4 - last time I checked pretty much all human beings are disturbed by pictures of people hanging...I guess it has been a while since I checked, but I'm going to go ahead and just assume that nothing has changed.

    THANK YOU for this post. I loved it.

    By Blogger Annette Shumway, At October 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home