Johnson's Corner

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Non-animal Sightings at the Zoo

Last week we spent a day at the Denver Zoo. It happened to be one of the free days. I don't know if the "free" part is what brings these particulars to the zoo, or if the zoo is always honored with such guests. *Fortunately* I don't have pictures to go along with the following list, but I am sure you can use your imagination.

8. Bum Cracks. Women's in particular. I didn't know this needed to be said, but apparently it does. Low-rise jeans are not for everyone. You know who you are. So stop it.

7. Old People. Wow. I have to give these people credit. I don't know how they find the strength to walk around the zoo all day! I am not talking old, I am talking oooolllldddd people. Like they are using a cane, but look like they should be in a wheelchair.

6. Pregnant Women. I tip my hat to these ladies. I know what it is like. We spent Rhys' first birthday at Disneyland. Which means I was 8 months pregnant with Seth. Why did I do this? It seemed like a good idea when we planned it. One woman was there with her four active young boys and looked to be at least 7 months pregnant. Sometimes I think that people are just not having as many kids "as they used to." Apparently everyone that is was hanging out at the zoo on free day.

5. Twins. I was stopped at least 5 times by people that wanted to show me their twins - ages 5 years, 18 months, you name it. They all wanted to assure me that I will survive. I didn't ask them, but they must just want to make sure I know.

4. Twin Adorers. I guess this is not limited to the free zoo day. It is pretty much wherever I go. Anywhere I used to go, it now takes me twice as long as it used to. Not directly because of the twins, but because they cause people to stop us left and right.

3. 2L Soda Bottles. I think it is a fabulous idea to pack a lunch and bring it with you so you don't have to pay the ridiculous prices at the zoo for food. I just thought it was funny that so many people that packed their lunches brought full 2L bottles. Then each person in the group had their own plastic cup.

2. Wild Children Climbing into Exhibits. No. Joke. Now, it was not the lion exhibit or even a bear or tiger exhibit. But these animals are wild you know. Oh, you didn't know? Well, they are. That's why there is a fence, to keep them on that side and us on this side. So keep an eye on that kid of yours, ok? Just because that tiger jumped out of the exhibit at this very zoo a couple of years ago and attacked a guy that was provoking him doesn't mean you should get even and climb into the animal's exhibit. Every person and animal should stay on their assigned side of the fence. Period.

1. Terrible Walking Shoes for Children. Why would a mother make the point to put on socks and running shoes for herself and then either choose awful walking shoes or allow her child to choose them for themself? I mean, you know when you go to the zoo you are going to do a lot of walking. Of course you do, that's why you made sure to wear your most sturdy, most comfortable shoes. So why on earth would you allow your four year old daughter to wear platform flipflops? Or why would you put your six year old daughter in heeled plastic sandals? Maybe it's just me, but I think my child's comfort is more important than if the animals think she is dressed fashionably.

6 Comments:

  • I miss you! And I totally want to go to the zoo with you. LA and San Diego are both lovely all year round....?

    By Blogger AB, At October 26, 2011 at 12:54 AM  

  • Wow! You did witness all sorts of crazy stuff @ the zoo! Makes you appreciate the life you do have and the common sense that was given to us! I bet your kids said a big thank you to you guys at the end of the day, realizing how good they have it!! lol

    By Blogger Kasey, At October 26, 2011 at 8:05 AM  

  • I'm just hoping it wasn't old people bum cracks...I mean a bum crack is bad enough...but a wrinkly one is definitely worse.

    By Blogger Annette Shumway, At October 26, 2011 at 1:13 PM  

  • I went to the free day at the grand rapids zoo with a guy who wanted to cool off by rolling up the bottom half of his shirt so it looked cropped. Way tacky. Bad part was, he was my kid's friend's dad. Yuck.

    By Blogger Robyn, At October 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

  • Sounds like an "interesting" day! I do have to wonder why a four-year-old would even own a pair of platform flipflops!?!

    By Blogger Robin V, At October 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM  

  • Of course all the big families were there that day- it was FREE :) People sure are crazy!

    By Blogger Evaly, At October 27, 2011 at 1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home